Students may apply for financial supports from CMU and/or SPP within the deadlines.
Scholarship & Tuition
Prospect Burma Scholarship
The Prospect Burma Scholarship aims provide study abroad opportunities for students who are passionate about the future development of Myanmar.
Chiang Mai University School of Public Policy is excited to announce its collaboration with Prospect Burma to offer Scholarships which will enable students from Myanmar to pursue either a master’s degree or Ph.D. in Public Policy.
There are 5 scholarships with the School of Public Policy, plus monthly living expenses in Chiang Mai which is covered by Prospect Burma.
To be eligible for a Prospect Burma scholarship, applicants MUST:
- Be originally from Myanmar, priority will be given to applicants who are currently residing in and applying from Myanmar
- Be in the process of enrolling or have acceptance for, and/or enrolled in a master’s degree at an accredited university, in any country but especially those in South East Asia. Prospect Burma will ask for copy of the acceptance letter from the University only for shortlisted candidates.
- Already studying, or accepted, for a Ph.D. Please note Ph.D. students will be eligible to receive funding for a maximum of three years.
How To Apply
- First, submit an application through the Chiang Mai University Graduate School. Key Chiang Mai University application dates:
- Application Round One: 15 November 2022 – 15 January 2023
- Application Round Two: 16 January 202 – 25 April 2023
- Submit a separate scholarship application to Prospect Burma no later than 31 January 2023.
- Applicants will be invited to attend an interview with the SPP Selection Committee.
- Once admitted by the School of Public Policy, Prospect Burma will review student’s applications and shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview with Prospect Burma.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview with Prospect Burma in May, and the scholarship recipient will be informed via email in June.
PhD Scholarship Availability
- CMU Presidential Scholarship
You may be eligible to apply for the CMU Presidential Scholarship. The scholarship requires excellent academic performance as demonstrated by a minimum of 3.50 GPA of 4.00 grading system in the Master’s degree level and the submission of Certificate of English Language Proficiency, TOEFL or IELTS or CMU e-TEGS only. (IELTS scores of 6.0 or equivalent, TOEFL scores of 550 (paper-based) or 183 (computer-based) or 79 (internet-based), CMU e-TEGS scores of 70). Details of funding click here.
- CMU TA/RA Grants
Chiang Mai University provides TA/RA grant amount of up to 108,000 Baht per year, payable at 9,000 Baht per month, of up to three years for the enrolled graduate student.
In the application process, there will be both CMU Presidential Scholarship and Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant. The applicant will be able to apply for either one or both types of the scholarships but will be granted the eligibility to receive only one type of the scholarship. More information about this grant click here.
MA Scholarship Availability
SPP is committed to attracting talented students from around the world. Chiang Mai University and our partners offer a range of scholarship, fellowship, and research grants for students studying at the School of Public Policy and encourage students to seek external sources of funding. CMU and SPP scholarships and tuition awards are available granted on the basis of both academic merit and financial need. Please check our website before you start your application and develop the research proposal. Applicants for the MA program may be eligible for the following financial aid packages:
- Young Policy Scholar Scholarship (YPSS)
For students interested in pursuing academic career and enrolling in a MA plus PhD in Public Policy, School of Public Policy provides full tuition awards for both MA and PhD programs with monthly stipends and housing. The scholarship requires academic excellence with GPA of 3.5 out of 4.0 scale and IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
- Young Policy Innovator (YPI)
The School of Public Policy Young Policy Innovator scholarship seeks to develop the next generation of policy leaders capable of leveraging innovative toolkit of policies to materially impact development for just sustainable outcomes. School of Public Policy provides full tuition award for MA program with monthly stipends and housing. The scholarship requires academic excellence with GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 scale and IELTS 5.5 or equivalent
- Inclusive Policy Designer
- Innovative Policy Designer
- Transformative Policy Designer
Chiang Mai University School of Public Policy drives a mission to develop policy design community that helps deliver meaningful outcomes for citizens. Students interested in using multidisciplinary research-design-test-build approach to make public services more inclusive, innovative and transformative are supported by SPP Policy Designer Scholarships that grant full tuition award for one-year MA program enrollment. The scholarship requires academic excellence with GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 scale and a submission of powerful research proposal. All applicants submitting their application by the Chiang Mai University application deadline will be automatically considered.